Please be aware that if you plan to have your child out of school for 5 or more days, we request that you complete an Independent Study (IS) contract.
Requirements for Independent Study Contract:
- Student will miss at least 5 days and no more than 20 days of school;
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) knows for sure what dates the student will miss school;
- Teacher has been given 10 school days’ notice by the Parent/Guardian of the request to do I.S.; Teacher has agreed to Independent Study (I.S.). Please Note: Teachers have the option to decline I.S. requests. Very soon after teacher has agreed to I.S., the parent must come see the Attendance Secretary to draw up the Independent Study Contract; Student,
- Teacher has agreed to Independent Study (I.S.). Please Note: Teachers have the option to decline I.S. requests. Very soon after teacher has agreed to I.S., the parent must come see the Attendance Secretary to draw up the Independent Study Contract;
- Student, Parent/Guardian and Principal must sign and date the I.S. contract before the I.S. contract goes into effect;
- Completed I.S. schoolwork must be turned in to the Teacher by the “Due Date” shown on the Independent Study (I.S.) Contract (if turned in after the Due Date, the I.S. Contract is “null and void”).
IF all the terms of the Independent Study Contract have been fulfilled by the student, the student will (1) receive “credit” for the I.S. work done (those absences will not count against the student’s Attendance Record – thus allowing the student to maintain a Perfect Attendance record) and (2) Mt. Diablo Unified 11 School District will get the daily ADA funding (which helps fund your child’s education).
Upon the student’s return, all assigned work must be turned in to guarantee funding and for the child to receive credit for the work. The school must have a full week’s notice to assemble the materials for your child.